Salt Dough Ornaments

I love making Christmas ornaments for friends and I loved sitting down with my kids every year making Christmas ornaments, now that they are grown and we pull them out to decorate the tree they remember making them....
So, I'm sure this will take you back to elementary school art class!  I'm sure you all made these in the 3rd grade, and your mother hung them on your tree, and you were so proud. Well I wanted to update this for my kids art camp. These simple ornaments are made with the classic salt dough recipe, but I used a stamp for the design.

Salt Dough

1 cup salt

2 cups flour

1cup water

Mix all ingredients in a mixer until a smooth dough forms.

I rolled out the dough to 1/4" thick, stamped a gingerbreadman and then cut out the circle with a biscuit cutter.. It was easier to stamp first so that the image would be centered. I rolled out the dough on the parchment paper so I wouldn't have to move the ornaments. Oh and I just used a regular plastic drinking straw for the hole at the top.

To dry the dough, bake in a 250F oven for at least 3 hours.

Once they were dry, I threaded twine or ribbon through the holes. These will  look cute on the tree and attached to gifts. I hope you can of course made a batch for your kids and they spend hours making all kinds of treasures for your tree as well.

What is your favorite homemade craft for this season?

No comments: