Mod Podge Tile Coasters


I found some more tiles out in the garage!!!  OkaY, okay, so honest I was trying to clean up the garage and it never fails I find something to craft with...oh well, the garage can wait a few more days...lol

So here is another idea for tile coasters for you.

the reason why I love this project so much is this type of project you can literally tailor it to any style or color palette you want… there are lots of papers to choose from!  I have seen people use maps...(just found one the other day I plan on making too)  beautiful gift wrap paper and there are tons of great scrapbook papers out there, so anything will work! and they cost less than $5 and  make a great gift ideas too.

This is what you need....
4x4 tiles ($.16 Home Depot); 4x4 scrapbook paper; adhere to tile with Mod Podge and let dry;
Spray a coat of clear spray paint and let dry; attach felt pads to the bottom

*****.
DIY Mod Podge Coaster Tutorial.



1. Gather your tiles.  I had a bunch leftover when we moved into this house but you can buy them at your local hardware store.  the cheapest tiles I have found come in glossy white; it was under $2.

.



2. Now is the fun part! pick your paper! so many choices but I decided on the pink saying page I found at Michael's.
My daughuter and friend love owls so I also used these cute  owl wrapping paper in my stash at home, you can use any paper other than something printed on your ink jet printer (it will smear)



.




3. Cut out the squares about 1/8″ to 1/4″ smaller then your square on each side – depending on how much tile you’d like to see as a border:.

I added these stickers to the bottom for some extra personalization.

.






4. Apply a light coat of Mod Podge to each tile with a sponge brush, then center your paper on top. (Work on one tile at a time.) Use your fingers to press the paper nice and flat. Don’t lift it up once you get it on or it will rip and become a mess. Let the tiles dry for 20-30 minutes..I used 3-4 more coats....

5. While they are drying, cut out six squares of felt for the bottom of your coasters:.

6. When your tiles are dry, glue the felt squares to the back. I used tacky glue. You could also use cork or those felt dots that normally go on the bottom of furniture legs. (I used those on the fairy coasters I made ealier.)

Note:  apply a sealant as per the directions on the sealant. (I used Polyurethane Spray.).

We are done! Now to wrap with a beautiful ribbon and give as great gift!

No comments: